Democrats Working to Improve DeWitt
Since his election, Supervisor Ed Michalenko has created a more efficient, more transparent and more democratic government for the Town of DeWitt.
Democratic initiatives have:
- Decreased taxes by 3% their first year and held the line a second year.
- Reduced government by consolidating the Receiver of Taxes into the Town Clerk’s office for an annual saving of $50,000.
- Settled an 8-year old lawsuit with Syracuse over the taxes for Hancock Airport, providing revenue for DeWitt and the East-Syracuse-Minoa School District.
- Established a Sustainability Committee, which will save us $15,000 per year with its efficient lighting project and has convinced the Town to install solar panels on the Town Hall.
- Established a Tree Committee to plant trees on streets and public areas.
- Adopted a one-year moratorium on hydrofracking in DeWitt.
Democrats have filled positions on commissions, boards and committees with the most qualified people, without regard to political affiliation.